Of all pest issues to experience, I’m pretty confident a bed bug infestation is at the top of any person’s nightmare list. Sure german roaches and termites are pretty awful, fleas are a pain – but bed bugs? There’s a reason why we all know the saying “don’t let the bed bugs bite”. They’re a little nerve-wracking.
So what doesn’t cause bed bugs? Let’s debunk a few common myths about bed bugs.
- Bed bugs live in dirty places. Bed bugs have nothing to do with cleanliness of your house, apartment, townhouse, or condo. Clutter doesn’t help situations, as it’s more places for them to hide. But generally speaking, that has nothing to do with why a bed bug issue occurred.
- You can’t see a bed bug. You definitely can, if you know what you are looking for. Adult bed bugs can be spotted. They like to hide near headboards, and in the corners of mattresses – near the seams and piping. In couches or chairs they like to hide in the seams or corners. Also look for dark red small spots on your mattress.
- They don’t come out when lights are on. Sure, they prefer darkness but light won’t deter them. They like the warmth and blood, and are attracted to it. They’re hungry, a food source (you) is near – they will bite.
- You’ll have to throw away your mattress if you get bed bugs. While it might seem like a heat treatment is expensive, it’s a lot cheaper than replacing a mattress. With our heat treatment, we can help replacing expensive mattresses and furniture.
- Pesticides you buy at the store can kill bed bugs. Buying something in store or online that kills bed bugs, is a waste of money. Bed bugs are extremely difficult to get rid of and require professional treatment. We always recommend our heat treatment, which is the most effective way to get rid of bed bugs, the first time and completely. While saving your furniture. We do offer a less expensive chemical treatment but that usually requires more than one application.
Any more questions about bed bugs? Feel free to contact us, we’re happy to help!